- What is the long form of HDF and MDF?
HDF and MDF are mechanically manufactured wood products formed by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres and then by combining it with wax/glue and pressing it under heat and pressure.
HDF is High Density Fibreboard.
MDF is Low Density Fibreboard.
HDF is more denser and stronger than MDF.
- What is the difference between Engineered hardwood flooring and Real solid hardwood flooring?
Engineered hardwood flooring is manufactured from three or more layers of high-density fiberboard (HDF) or medium-density fibreboard (MDF) and a real hardwood veneer top layer bonded together under heat and pressure.
Solid hardwood flooring is milled from a real hardwood species, making it the sole material used in the making of this type of flooring.
Engineered hardwood flooring is surely a suitable choice for outdoor flooring where there is high moisture or temperature.
- What is the long form of EPDM which is used in waterproofing membranes or Children play area floorings?
The long form of EPDM is Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. It is a synthetic rubber which is used in waterproofing membranes. Its granules are also used in Children play area/Gym area floorings to form attractive and colourful design patterns.
- Gauge (ga) to Millimeter (mm) conversions:
18 ga = 1.02 mm
16 ga = 1.29 mm
14 ga = 1.63 mm
12 ga = 2.05 mm
10 ga = 2.59 mm
- What is the long form of IPS flooring?
The long form of IPS flooring is Indian Patent Stone flooring. It is a concrete flooring finished with cement slurry as a top coat to give glossy finish.
- What are the commonly used grades of ply depending on water resistant qualities?
There are 3 grades of ply which are commonly used in India.
- Commercial MR grade ply where MR stands for Moisture Resistant. It is commonly used in commercial or residential furniture.
- Waterproof BWR grade ply where BWR stands for Boiling Water Resistant. It is mostly used for below wash basin vanities, kitchen furniture
- Marine ply. It is used in special conditions where there is going to be a continuous contact with water mainly in shipping industry.
- What is the long form of ELCB and MCB?
T he long form of MCB is Miniature Circuit Breaker. The basic function of MCB is to trip the supply if the current goes too high than the carrying capacity of the used wire to avoid further damages.
The long form of ELCB is Earth Leak Circuit Breaker. The basic function of ELCB is to trip the supply if there is any current flowing through the earth wire. ELCBs are now outdated and replaced by RCCBs means Residual Current Circuit Breaker.
- What is long form of V3F drive in Lifts/Elevators?
The long form of V3F Drive is Variable Voltage, Variable Frequency Drive. It enables the lift to stop slowly and smoothly in level with the landing floor.
- Which world’s largest infinity pool on a roof top?
Marina Bay Sands Infinity Pool, Singapore which is 200 meters above ground level and spanning over 3 skyscrapers is the largest infinity pool on roof top at present.
- What is the difference between Vitrified tiles and Ceramic tiles?
a) The main manufacturing difference is, Vitrified tiles are a mixture of Clay, Silica, Feldspar and quartz while ceramic tiles are made out of clay only.
b) In vitrified tiles, entire tile composition is homogeneous while in ceramic tiles, only top layer is glazed.
c) Vitrified tiles achieve a smoother and glossier finish as compared to Ceramic tiles.
d) Vitrified tiles are non porous, absorb less water and are more durable while ceramic tiles are porous, absorb more water and are less durable as compared to vitrified tiles.
- Area measurement conversion factors
1 SqM = 10.764 Sqft
1 Guntha = 1089 Sqft
1 acre = 43560 sq feet / 4046.86 sq meter
1 brass = 100 sq feet
- How to calculate the weight of TMT steel bar?
Weight of the TMT steel bar per Metre is calculated by formula D^2 /162, where D is the diameter of the bar in mm.
- What is the full form of AAC blocks?
Autoclaved Aerated Concrete blocks. These are lightweight blocks which are more eco friendly as compared to traditional clay bricks and fly ash bricks.
- What are NP1, NP2, NP3, NP4 R.C.C. pipes?
NP1, NP2, NP3, NP4 are four classes of R.C.C. pipes.
NP1 is non pressure (NP) , non reinforced concrete pipe.
NP2 is non pressure (NP) , reinforced, light duty concrete pipe.
NP3 is non pressure (NP) , reinforced, medium duty concrete pipe.
NP4 is non pressure (NP) , reinforced, heavy duty concrete pipe.
- What is TOR steel?
TOR is a brand name of Toristeg Steel Corporation of Luxembourg. Their name "TOR" became synonymous with Cold Twisted Deformed (CTD) steel bars due to popularity.
- What is the long form of PVC, UPVC, CPVC?
PVC - Poly Vinyl Chloride
UPVC - Unplasticised Poly Vinyl Chloride
CPVC - Chlorinated Poly Vinyl Chloride.
- How many elevators are installed in Burj Khalifa, Dubai?
There are Otis make 57 elevators installed in Burj Khalifa, Dubai.
- Which are the top 5 tallest buildings in the world as in 2015?
- Burj Khalifa, Dubai, 828 m
- Shanghai Tower, Shanghai, 632 m
- Makkah clock royal tower, Makkah, 601 m
- One world trade center, New York City, 541 m
- Taipei 101, Taipei, 509 m
- What is the full form of SWR in plumbing pipes?
The full form of SWR in plumbing pipes : S - Soil, W - -Waste, R - Rainwater.
- What is the difference between OPC & PPC in cement?
OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement) is the basic form of cement with 95% of it being the clinker & 5% being gypsum.
PPC (Pozzolanic Portlamd Cement) is manufactured by blending the mixture of OPC & fly ash in proportion between 15% - 35% of later.
PPC is more eco-friendly due to its use of fly ash. PPC is also more economical than OPC
Though both PPC and OPC can be used for various construction activities, In India, OPC is more widely used. PPC is more commonly used for brickwork & plastering as it reduces the chances of surface cracks due to less heat of hydration.
- What is Fe 500?
Fe stands for Ferrous material which is used for manufacturing reinforcement steel bars.
The number 500 stands for the yield strength of steel in N/mm2
So, Fe 500 steel means reinforcement steel bars that can safely withstand yield stress of 500 N/mm2
- What is the long form of LEED building certifcations ?
LEED is a green building certification method developed by U.S green building council .It stands for Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design.
- Which is the most expensive residential area in the world?
Monaco, which is in Southern Europe, is the country with one of the most expensive residential areas in the world.
- What is grade of concrete (M20 , M30 etc)?
Concrete grade indicates the strength on 28th day below which not more than 5% test results are expected to fall.
It generally mentions as M20 , M30 etc.
It means that M20 concrete should attain a characteristic strenth of 20 MPa (Mega Pascal) by 28th day.
What is plum concrete?
Instead of PCC, sometimes Plum concrete is done below the footings, if the ground surface is uneven, so as to save the cost of concrete.
In plum concrete, stones are used along with concrete of specified grade.
The size of stones used for plum concrete shall be between 200 to 300 mm. The stone shall be basalt, trap or any other approved locally available stone with minimum crushing strength of 100 kg/sqcm. The proportion of plums/stones should not exceed 50 per cent of total volume of plum concrete.